A family therapist, oftentimes licensed as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT), provides psychotherapy services to families and couples in intimate relationships to nurture change and development. In San Ramon, the therapists at Treehouse Counseling Services can provide your family with a space to grow and heal.
When searching for a family therapist, it is critical to remember that this branch of psychotherapy tends to view change in terms of the systems of interaction between family members. A family therapist will emphasize family relationships as an important factor in psychological health. At Treehouse Counseling Services, our licensed and pre-licensed therapists take a 360-degree approach of each individual that is a part of the family in order to understand the emotional health of the family as a whole.
As relationships and roles within a family change, growing pains are normal and easily combated. You are not alone if you are looking for a family therapist in San Ramon. Some of the most common causes of families entering counseling are:
- marital stress
- divorce issues
- parent-child conflicts
- child abuse
- conflicts with extended family
- substance abuse
- medical or disability issues
- death or loss
- relationship skill-building
There are a myriad of techniques that family therapists use with their clients, including:
- Structural therapy – Identifies and reorders the organization of the family system
- Strategic therapy – Looks at patterns of interactions between family members
- Systemic/Milan therapy – Focuses on belief systems
- Narrative Therapy – Restoring of dominant problem-saturated narrative, emphasis on context, separation of the problem from the person
- Transgenerational Therapy – Transgenerational transmission of unhelpful patterns of belief and behavior.
- communication theory
- relationship counseling
- relationship education
- systemic coaching
- systems theory
- reality therapy